Sunday, January 22, 2012

Leather Acquired!

Tip #1 - Shop the sale racks. Tandy had some black leather on sale, a little heavier than garment weight and a little lighter weight than standard tooling leather or chap-weight. I got a full side for about half the price of anything else I saw in-store.

Tip #2 - check for tools to make things, rather than buying pre-made. I was considering buying pre-cut 1" strips of leather, but those turned out to be both significantly heavier duty than the black leather I'm making the main bits out of, and fairly expensive. For less than half the cost of one 72" strap, I bought a strap cutter. Once I  cut a straight edge on the leather I bought, I can cut strips of whatever width I choose. I also found a nice rotary cutter that I can use with my wife's straightedge and cutting board...

Tip #3 - get the membership. I did the math, and I saved enough just on this purchase to cover the Gold level membership fee at Tandy.

No comments:

Post a Comment