Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Obligatory Introductory Post

So who is this “MacAuslander” person, anyway?

That’s what I’m figuring out. As I write these words, I’m in the process of creating a new identity for myself as a Steampunk. Okay, so I’m late to the party… These things take time, and I’ve been busy.

My intent, as far as this blog is concerned, is to document my journey as I transition from curious outsider to active participant.  I tend to get a little obsessive about things when they capture my interest, and this time around I’d like to keep a record of stuff as it happens.  I’ll be recording the research that I do, the books I read, the ideas that I play with, the new skills I suspect that I’ll need to learn, and so forth. There are many things about the Steampunk Community (yes, generalized grand umbrella term – I know there are subsets and so forth, there always are) that absolutely fascinate me, and I’ll hash through my thoughts about those things as well as any worrisome concerns that may pop up along the way (I’ve already found other blogs that deal with some of those – more on that later).

Why bother? Curiosity, mostly – a friend of mine once described me as “the most aggressively self-aware person I know”, and this is just the most recent example. Since childhood, I’ve “reinvented myself” on numerous occasions (some more consciously than others), and this time around, I want to have fun with the process. This blog gives me an opportunity to jot stuff down when it occurs to me, a place to collect all of the scattered ideas that I find, and I get to do it semi-anonymously without having to link it to my other online and meatspace personae. At least until I’m good and ready…

No comments:

Post a Comment