Thursday, February 21, 2013

Bits and Pieces

Little by little, I'm getting the details worked out on my steampunk outfits. I've got all the major clothing bits - hats, shirts, waistocoats/vests, socks, boots - and I've got pieces that tweak those bits into Steampunk ensembles - goggles, the gauntlets, the gaiters. Now it's time to step it up a notch.


I've repaired my goggles - the loupe exploded while at Steamcon, and one of the little nuts that holds the lenses onto the main arm went completely AWOL. I replaced it with a new one, and added a targeting reticle made out of an ornamental gear and some brass screen cut into an X. The strap has also been upgraded, and can now be properly fitted either as a hatband or as actual goggles.

I made a couple of kilt hose flashes out of thin leather, and then realized that I actually needed to make two complete sets if I wanted them to match - but unfortunately, I ran out of larger chunks of the thin leather, so the pairs have been split up so that I'm at least symmetrical. Now on days when the gaiters are just too bloody hot to wear, I have something else steamy to put on my legs. 

This weekend's project is to finish up a steampunk sporran that I got cut out last weekend. Need to punch some more holes, glue and stitch the pieces together, and then decorate. Then on to the headset...

No comments:

Post a Comment